Friday, December 21, 2012

Thursday: Energy

Thursday was devoted to recognizing and limiting my energy consumption. 

I took note of all the things in my daily regimen that use energy.
This included: Lights, electric oven, microwave, hair straightener/curler, phone, ipod dock for music, dishwasher, clothes washer, heater, laptop.

Many things on this list are necessary components of my day, such as using lights at night time or cooking on the stove.  But just by making this list I became more aware of the energy that I do use, which made me more likely to limit it.  So when I did use the lights in a room, I used the bare minimum and made sure they were turned off when I left the room.  I did not leave my laptop on throughout the night, and when I was not in a room I turned off my music.

I even turned out the lights at nighttime and read by candlelight which provided a romantic touch to what would have been an ordinary evening.

Here are some cool ideas from others-

Make your southern comfort sweet tea in the sun instead of on the stove.

Skip the elevator, take the stairs!

Instead of watching a movie with friends, play a board game

Turn off the A/C

Open the windows for natural light!

Hang dry your clothes


Share all your ideas or current energy saving practices on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment