Thursday, June 13, 2013

Office Grub: The Diet of a Secretary

Since I graduated college and began working an office job (8 hours a day sitting on my bum), I have had to become even more conscious about what, and how much, I am eating.

Less activity = Less caloric needs

However, my tummy doesn't always like that.  She still wants to eat like I was when I walked/biked several miles each day, took kickboxing classes 4 days a week, and lifted weights on top of that!

In order to transition into this new situation without feeling grossly sluggish or overfed, I have had to make a few changes.

1.  Smaller snacks and larger meals.

I was eating 6 small meals per day, but I have found that simply eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with small snacks (of 150 calories or less) works a little better.  I don't have to bring Tupperware to the office, and I feel less anxious about when I will get to eat next because I am full for hours.

2. Strategic placement of snacks in the desk.

If I put cocoa roasted almonds in my desk drawer, you can bet they will be gone in a week or so.  This means that having healthy, appropriate foods nearby is a must.

3. Incorporating more activity in my daily routine.

Because I am no longer walking to classes every day, I have to incorporate more physical activity into my life; i.e. running up the stairs, doing squats at my desk, stretching every hour, doing leg lifts in my chair, maintaining good posture, etc.  This may look ridiculous to co-workers, but it certainly makes me feel better!

This post is a little more about the fitness/health side of being a foodie.  Feeling your best is important, and there are lots of ways to maintain optimum health in all of life's situations.

How do you stay healthy and feeling great at work?

No comments:

Post a Comment